Saturday, April 10, 2010

Are You Motivated or Inspired?

Eating right and physical activity are 2 things that are absolutely essential to your health.  You know that.  By the way, you'll always hear me using the term "physical activity" as opposed to "exercise" or "work out" because I think the latter two phrases are associated with the gym, long, grueling routines, etc, and none of that is required to have the body you want.  Physical activity can be anything from jogging to playing basketball to yoga to swimming.  I like going to the gym, but we're all different.  The point is to burn some extra calories and get your heart pumping a bit.  However, I believe that eating right and physical activity are really only about 14% of the effort to be healthy and fit.  There is a much larger phenomenon that can be put to use to achieve your wellness goals, and it has to do with your mind.

Over the course of this blog, in addition to all of the biological and physiological info I'll be sharing, I hope to share many techniques that I have come to know to help you "think" better.  I'll start with motivation and inspiration.  What is the difference?

Well, you can see from the name of this blog which one I think is the better path to wellness.  The information I am about to share I came across by reading books by Jerry and Esther Hicks.  Their philosophy is based on the Law of Attraction which basically states "that which is like unto itself, is drawn".  Simple.  Thoughts or things that are alike, attract one another.  Birds of a feather flock together.  You get the idea.

So why should you be inspired as opposed to motivated?  Well, you may not know it because you probably never thought about it, but motivation is actually a negative mindset.  When you are motivated to do something, you are operating from a feeling of lack.  A lack of something you want.  Think about that for a second.  If you have a huge project at work that you don't want to do, you usually try to motivate yourself to do it because you would rather be at the beach.  If you want to lose weight and are frustrated at not seeing results, you usually try to motivate yourself to go to the gym because you want a better body.  However, if you are operating from the negative frame of mind, you can do all the exercises in the world, eat all the right foods and do everything you've been told to do, but you will see very little result.  In other words, you can't feel fat and attract thin.  You can't feel sick and attract health. You can't think negative thoughts and attract positive results.

On the other hand, if you are inspired, then you are operating in a positive frame of mind.  When you are inspired, you have a goal, you want it and you expect it, and there are no thoughts in your mind telling you that you can't have it.  If you want to be a singer, you are inspired into action every time you see your idol.  If you come into contact with someone who is wildly successful, the mere thought of having that success too can really inspire you.  When you are inspired into action, you will see a much larger result than if you were motivated into action, according to the philosophy of Jerry and Esther Hicks.

You're work is to get inspired by changing the way you think.  This blog will include ways to do that, hopefully.  I've recently tried a few techniques and I can honestly say I have seen some pretty amazing results.  I try not to make by posts too long because I know you are busy, so other posts that continue the train of thought on this one will come later.  Besides, isn't a good writer supposed to leave his audience wanting more?  Evil, I know!

Anyway, this post serves to ignite the fire underneath your willpower to get the body you want and feel great.  Like everything else, it's easier said than done.  Hey, I'm no expert yet.  There are still many goals I am working towards, and I have my blinders on.  The point is that you can't think of something you want, but then also think of reasons why you can't or don't have it.  The problem is that it's so damn easy for those negative thoughts to get into your mind!

You've obviously been thinking about losing weight or getting healthy which attracted you to this blog.  In the meantime, swing by www.abraham-hicks.com to check out Jerry and Esther's website.  They have a lot of positive quotes and good info there.

4 comments:

Nichole said...

Mindset is everything, I totally agree.

I think one of the reasons I despise "working out" so much is that it takes away time which I value above everything else. When Joe is gone for months at a time, and is home for mere weeks the last thing I want to do is work out when we could be doing something FUN together. LOL That's one huge difference between the two of us. Working out for him is fun, and I despise it. He knows that about me, and he tricks me into doing physical activity with him as a means to get healthy and it totally works. I would much rather walk around the neighborhood with Joe, the dog and Eleana than stay inside doing sit ups.

Awesome post, Kris. I voted in your poll about multivitamins. What are your thoughts/feelings/recommendations on them? My doctor can't "officially" suggest vitamins or supplements but I'd like a somewhat professional opinion on them. Recent blood tests revealed that I'm .02 points below the normal level of iron for a female, and he said an iron supplement may help but I didn't have to take one. I tried iron supplements a few years ago and they made me jittery. Thoughts? Did I overshare?

Kris said...

Nichole,

I believe multivitamins are absolutely necessary! I have a big section in my book about them. Most people's diets aren't complete enough to obtain all the vitamins and minerals. Even the most proficient eater can still have holes in their diet that a multivitamin can easily fill.

Iron supplements alone can be a bit harsh. Red meat is a great source of iron (and u don't need a lot of it of course). If you are against red meat, then you can go to GNC, and they have women's multivitamins with some iron in them. I would suggest that. Iron is very important. It's an essential part of the molecule that carries oxygen to the cells in your body.

I hope that helps. :)

Laura_G said...

Kris,

I love this post! There are a couple of things I love about it. One of them is that you include yoga as an activity and not just going to the gym. I don't like to sweat (although in the yoga classes I take, I do!) and I don't like to work out in front of others.

The second is about the power of positive thinking. That really hit home. I have been working so hard to lose weight and change my lifestyle and haven't been making any progress. In fact, I have put on weight (and I can promise you it isn't muscle since my clothes are getting tighter instead of loser). I hear what you are saying and I am going to change my attitude. YOU inspire me! Thank you for that and thank you for this blog!

Laura

Kris said...

Thanks again Laura. I think that the biggest obstacle for people is the way they think. I think its true for everything, not just weight loss. So, I'm going to try to incorporate a lot of things of that nature into this blog.

I'm glad you like it though. It's great that the blog and the internet allows me and other people to spread positive energy. I'm sick of walking around feeling drained due to negative thoughts. It's not healthy and it doesn't take that much effort to change!